Debbie was renovating her house to make a couple of suites workable. She asked for 2 floating walls with doors, to help with organizing the flow.
I built stud walls directly on the floor. I used silicone on the floors so that the floors (floating floor and tile floor) could expand and contract a little bit. I was able to find studs in the wall to join to, even a few joists in the ceiling. I stuck in some doorframes and boarded and taped.
There is a lot of material that can go into building a wall, and of course there are mouldings. Instead of trying to feather and paint where the walls joined, I simply used a moulding…baseboards were simple too. Even the archetype headers weren’t hard to find. However matching the crown was a bit trickier:
I’ve done a little bit of crown moulding, but it’s always been the type that sits in the corner at a 45 degree angle. After I figured out what kind of crown I needed, the challenge was to cove it into place (3 pieces) – all between walls. I had not worked with 38 degree crown before, so it took some getting used to. But it turned out pretty good in the end.