Dumawall tiles over existing tile in bath/shower

Joan wanted to update her bathroom, did some research and ordered a type of PVC tile from Dumawall. I installed them according to the instructions. It was such an easy product to work with – for the first project – the bathtub.

The reason they are so easy is because there is no prep other than to clean the existing tiles. They are glued on with Loctite. No grouting is needed as they interlock, similar to flooring. They provide a kit with inside and outside corners as well.

The shower was harder – but only because it had more corners (ie. the bench) and everything had to be levelled so carefully. That is the one issue I can see for DIYers–getting an area like this level. There is not much forgiveness with the 1/16″ gap between tiles–if you are out even an eighth of an inch, it will be very obvious by the time you get to the top of the shower! I put a bead of silicone behind the joints where there would be more water…and made sure to seal all the corners later as well.

Lastly was some crown moulding 🙂 I don’t necessarily recommend putting it above a shower area, but have seen it done before with no issues, and with plenty of paint and caulking…should be just fine.

Tiling over Tile on a Fireplace Surround

Here is Max’s fireplace surround. He bought some new tiles to give some more contrast to the room – also, a few of the original floor tiles were cracked. He asked me to re-tile. I suggested going over the existing tile and he went along with it–it brought the new tile to the same level as the carpet. And saved a ton of work and mess.

The first step was to clean the tile and then paint it with Eco Prim Grip. It’s a rubbery cement paint, believe it or not. Then I used contact cement to place aluminum trim around the fireplace. The reason for this was to hide the edges of both the new tiles, and a few of the old ones as well. (They got spray painted black later).

Then I laid out the tile. It was fairly straightforward because it was the same size as the old tile. The only hiccup was the aluminum trim, which pushed the tile out a little bit and caused some extra notching. I used a light mortar thinset to set the tile. Unfortunately I mixed it a bit wet, but it seemed to stay in place.

The next day I grouted the joints and caulked the edges with a similar colour Dap. It turned out very nice. It was not easy, though–gives me some respect for “real” tilers!