Desiree has a beautiful table from Europe that has belonged in her family for several generations. She asked me to stain & varnish it.
It was not the best time of year to start this project. The stain took awhile to dry in the cold weather (my workshop is only heated while I’m there). First I sanded off the old stain and varnish, then put on two coats of Ebony. After a few days I started with the polyurethane, coat by coat. I had a bit of trouble with the folding leaf, since I had to re-finish both sides, with polyurethane drips etc. So I ended up doing four coats on the top to cover up. But it turned out really nice in the end!