Jobs Blog

Vertical Vinyl Siding

S and A were looking for a new look on their garage. They had done quite a lot of work on it over the years but it needed siding now. They ordered the materials and I came and figured out what to do:

Remove old soffit
Install new black soffit (all four sides)
Install horizontal siding on the top
Install fascia/belly boards (2×10) top and bottom
drip cap…
Window and door trim…
and finally the siding itself! I had never used vertical vinyl siding before, but it was kind of fun. (The customer did the 2 difficult sides behind the trees, thankfully)

Then they wanted a pergola. The dimensions given were: “Not too small, and not too big.” Luckily I found something close! It looks so good!

Self Help

I’ve been working on the set for Self Help, a comedy by Norm Foster. It is being performed at Abby Arts Addition in October. Here are a few construction pictures! (yes, there are lots of doors…it is set in a living room)

A Wrinkle in Time

I was very excited to be asked to design the set for Wrinkle in Time (Gallery 7). Normally someone else designs and paints the set, and I just build whatever their imagination comes up with…but this time I got to call the shots!

Oddly enough the set ended up being much simpler than usual…and I don’t think it was entirely due to self-interest and trying to save a lot of work. The play is set in many different settings so one static set wouldn’t have worked as well.

Here’s a few photos of me at work during the first week of construction back in September. Come see the play in November! It is being held at Abbotsford Arts Centre.

Digging in the storage container for old risers
First cut of the theatre season
Finishing the 3rd riser–it needs skin!

Door Magic

I had a few custom door jobs lately. Here are some pictures.

Exterior Door
D and D needed something done to their front door. It was not closing well. In addition, the frame appeared rotten. I quoted on some new doors and frames but then went back and looked at the frame and door again. It was not in that bad of shape so I recommended a fix-up. I cut out the bottom of the door, did some filling and sanding elsewhere, added a 3rd hinge, and re-hung the door by anchoring it into the concrete wall. While I was at it I also repainted it. A crack between the house and step also got filled with cement.

Sliding Barn Door
G and C bought a rolling barn door kit to cover a not often used doorway. But the current doorway was too high and the short door would look funny. So I filled it in with drywall and spaced out the new studs to work with the track hardware. I don’t have a picture of the finished product, but they stained the door nicely and painted the wall and it looks quite nice.

Doorframe widening
Paul needed a doorframe widened for various reasons. It was 30″ so we added 6 inches to a 36″ door. However when widening doorframes there are other things to take into account, such as exposed flooring (tile and carpet in this case), light switches (had to move it over a little), new doors (had to find the right style to match the existing doors), baseboards to cut, and new casing for the top (have yet to find it). Luckily it was not a supporting wall or there would have been a header to replace too. It was a full day’s work.

Deck Staining

It was with a tiny bit of trepidation that I attempted to stain a pressure treated deck. (front and back)

It had been stained at least 3 times from what I could tell.

First I pressure washed it. It didn’t do much except clean it.

Next I used a stripper to remove the stain. It did not work too well but did get some off. I had to pressure wash it again to remove the stripper.

Lastly I sanded it with a 5″ orbital (80 grit). This step was much easier than I anticipated and I possibly could have saved a lot of time by skipping the stripping step.

Now it was ready to stain. My customer provided the stain (an opaque from Rona). It applied well. My only concern was that there was some stickiness in some areas after a week. But it seems to be fine now.

I also varnished the posts and railings later with Spar Varnish.

Front Deck:

Back Deck:

Cedar Garden Shed

Jon bought a 10×10 pre-cut kit from a Cedar place on Fraser Highway and hired me to put it together. It was kind of fun, reminded me of a little log house kit I had as a kid. But this one required a gravel pad first…

Then the plywood floor went over some cedar 2×3 joists, spaced 2 feet apart. Next the walls and trusses got screwed together, and it all came together pretty well. Then I started on the cedar siding.

The cedar shake roof was a new challenge for me, but I think it will hold up just fine…I used 1.25″ staples on the supplied shakes, over tarpaper. Lastly I made and hung the doors, and put together a little ramp.


I made some custom arches for Stephanie’s house, and also some new window awning brackets. (They are going to put some corrugated tin on top.)